Click Here for Scholarship and Grant Resources

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Preparing for Informative Speech

I will be giving an informative speech on the atrocities occuring in Sudan's Darfur in Africa. I believe I first heard about Darfur on one of the major online news outlets. When I heard about it I thought "Things like this are still happening in modern times?" Sounds pretty naive of me to think this way with all the other atrocities going on in the world today: War in Iraq, innocent civilians being killed, etc. The tragedy occuring in Darfur has been labeled as genocide. I think that is what's so surprising to me. The strategic elimination of human beings is too astonishing for me to grasp. I even ran across a profile supporting Darfur on myspace and learned alot, even joined their friend list. I will have to create an outline, but for now, I am in the "gathering information" phase. I usually post my work on this blog, but since this is a speech, I will just post the outline once I recieve my speech evaluation. The speech instructor is very good. During the first day of class, she had everyone introduce themselves and tell a little bit about ourselves. I believe the purpose was to allow us to survey the audience that each of us would have to direct our speeches to, and to also get everyone to become comfortable with eachother. The instructor had shared that her son had died of throat cancer in October, and she cried a little while telling us. My heart goes out to her, and I believe her purpose in sharing that with us was to build a relationship with us and to also help us to become comfortable with sharing our personal experiences with our audience as we give our speeches in class. In my speech on Darfur, I must try not to persuade the audience. Now that I think about it, I think the next speech we will give will be a persuasive speech, I might consider saving this one for that maybe, not sure yet. Maybe I should give a speech on Myspace addicts...hmmmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Blog Flux Directory
Top Academics Blogs
BlogPulse.com
ReadABlog.com
Findory.com
BlogDigger.com
Blogarama - The Blogs Directory
BlogUniverse.com
Feed Shark